Saturday, May 18, 2019

PREPARING THE WAY


Gold City Quartet started releasing Southern Gospel albums back in 1981. Fast forward to 1996 and they put out PREPARING THE WAY (RiverSong). At that time Gold City was: Jay Parrack, Jonathan Wilburn, Mark Trammell, Tim Riley, Adam Borden, Doug Riley, and Randy Matthews.

Starting things off is one of three songs penned by Sandy Knight. 'You're at the Well' is an upbeat Southern Gospel song of celebration: "You're at the well, draw the water/You're at the well, drink the wine/You're at the fountain springing life eternal/Cleansing everlasting water so fine". 'Pray' is one of two Kyla Rowland compositions. This Southern Gospel ballad is one of encouragement: "When you don't feel like praying, pray/And when you think you just can't get through, pray/Precious to the Father's ears are three words/'Lord, I'm here'/When you don't feel like praying, pray".

'Hello in Heaven' is a fun, carefree song: "Saying hello, hello/Hello, saying hello/I've been longing to say hello, hello in heaven/Walking and talking on streets of gold/Just wanna say hello in passing by the sparkling rivers of life/There's a lot of things I wanna know/First things first, hello". Niles Borop, Luke Garrett, Mike Harland, and Buddy Mullins wrote 'It's Still the Cross', a moving ballad that shares the Gospel: "It's still the cross/It's still the blood of Calvary/That cleanses sin and sets the captives free/It's still the name/The Name of Jesus/That has power to save the lost/It's still the cross". Daniel Riley is a guest vocalist.

'Higher than the Moon' is a toe-tapper anticipating heaven: "Soon I'll leave this planet for that golden shore/Where there waits a mansion and a whole lot more/Everything is ready and I'm A-O-K/I'm going higher than the moon some day". 'I'm Going Over' also looks ahead to the next life: "Don't worry about me/I'm going over/Don't take a second thought to where my soul is bound/Don't worry about me/I'm going over/He'll lift me over, set my feet on higher ground".

Next up is 'He's Still on the Throne', a great ballad of contentment amidst difficult times: "He's still on the throne/So what could be wrong?/It's well with my soul/Let the stormy winds blow/I'm reminded today/Thank God I am saved/Salvation's sweet song while ages roll on/He's still on the throne". Terry McMillan lends his harmonica prowess to the song.  'Every Moment' was arranged by Terry and Barbi Franklin. It's a quiet song that testifies: "There's not a season that life has to bring/That Jesus has ceased to provide everything/His grace alone is sufficient for me/But He's given much more than I could ever have dreamed".

'When the Lamb Becomes the Light' describes our heavenly home: "This place of perfect peace that's everlasting/Where death is gone forever and where no one will grow old/And the sun is overshadowed by the Lamb in all His glory/Oh, what a vision we too, will behold". The song builds in intensity. Last up is the Marlene and Shannon Childress composition 'God Unlimited'. This peppy song minces no words: "God, the same today, forever He will never change/And if you need a miracle even that He can arrange/If you think He doesn't do today what He did in days gone by/Then you need your faith rekindled by that pentecostal fire".

PREPARING THE WAY is a great Southern Gospel record. It contains six slow and four fast songs. The vocal harmonies are splendid. Heaven is a common theme here. There, Christians will live eternally in a place without pain or sorrow. We'll be re-united with loved ones, walk on streets of gold, and live in mansions. Most of all, we'll meet and worship Jesus. Christ made all of this possible by dying for our sins at Calvary and rising from the dead three days later. Gold City also reminds us our God is faithful, in control, and is our Helper on this earth. I'm rating this project 95%. For more info visit www.goldcityministries.com or connect with the group on social media.