Sunday, May 19, 2019

SONGS FROM THE LOFT


1993's SONGS FROM THE LOFT (Reunion) contains eleven songs that were part of a four year ministry in the top of an old red barn on the back of Amy Grant and Gary Chapman's farm. These are songs meant for youth. This album is a multi-artist recording. It won a Dove Award for 'Praise & Worship Album of the Year'.

Michael W. Smith starts things off with the upbeat pop song 'What We've Come Here For'. It's a song of intent: "Truth is what we've come here for/The kind that won't be fading/The kind of truth that can set a man free/The kind I want my heart to see/Truth is why we've come/Truth has a name, Jesus (2X)/Truth has a name". Donna McElroy sings the groovy pop tune 'I Got the Want To'. It offers great spiritual advice: "Walk in the light as He is in the light (4X).../Love one another because He has loved you (4X)". 'Seek First' finds Susan Ashton singing lead. These lyrics are scriptural: "Seek first the Kingdom of heaven/And all shall be added".

Wes King sings 'Joy!', a pop/country song of testimony: "I got the joy, joy, joy/Down in my heart (2X)/Down in my heart to stay!" 'Where Do I Go' is an Ashley Cleveland/Gary Chapman duet about finding a safe spot in life: "Where do I go when I need a shelter?/Where do I go when I need a friend?/Where do I go when I need some helping?/Where do I go?/Back on my knees again". Jerry Dale McFadden plays piano.

Amy Delaine sings 'Salt and Light', a nice song about being a witness: "We can be a little salt, be a little light/In this darkened world/We can shine, oh oh, shine so bright/Shine, oh oh, just like the starlight". Kim Hill sings the short pop/country number 'How Do You Know'. It reminds us of the amazing things that God can do: "Lazarus was dead and cold/Three days in the grave/Jesus called him back to life/Daylight he found".

Michael James delivers 'We Come to Praise', a lovely praise and worship song. I like these opening words: "Lord, we come into this place tonight/None of us is worthy, none is right/Take a hold of our wandering hearts/There is no other place to start/What we need only You can bring/Meet us as we sing/We come to praise You (2X)/You are God/You are holy". Amy Grant and Wes King wrote 'We Believe in God'. Amy sings lead on this beautiful adult contemporary ballad of assurance: "If you believe in God/If you say you need Jesus/He'll be where you are/And He never will leave you".

Gary Chapman sings 'Hope Set High'. It includes this great statement: "When it all comes down/If there's anything good that happens in life it's from Jesus". Amy had previously recorded it as the last track on her very successful 1991 album HEART IN MOTION. Last up here is 'Hey Now'. Amy sings lead on this ballad about caring for each other spiritually: "Hey now, I will be praying for you/Hey now, you're gonna pray for me/Cause what we have been through together/Is changing us now, can change us forever". 

Pop, adult contemporary, country, and praise and worship sounds can all be found on SONGS FROM THE LOFT, which clocks in at 33 minutes and 54 seconds. It comes across as an intimate set of eleven Christian campfire songs. God is praised for His holiness and goodness. Jesus is seen as giving us love, hope, and refuge. We should desire to live for Him. It will bring us joy! As well, we should witness to, and love others, ultimately desiring them too to come into personal relationships with Jesus Christ. I'm rating this project 90%. For more info connect with the artists on social media.