Monday, April 08, 2019

BETWEEN THE STARS


Flyleaf formed in Bell County, Texas in 2002, although they released three Ep's as Passerby. With Lacey Sturm as lead vocalist, they released three full length albums: FLYLEAF (2005), MEMENTO MORI (2009), and NEW HORIZONS (2012). They were known for such songs as 'Fully Alive', 'All Around Me', 'Again', and 'Arise'. In 2014 they released their first album with new vocalist Kristen May, entitled BETWEEN THE STARS (Loud & Proud Records). It was produced by Don Gilmore. It's what I'm reviewing here.

Starting things off is the album's lead single 'Set Me On Fire', written by Flyleaf and Johnny Andrews. It's addressed to a love interest and it rocks: "You are a spark that shines a light/When we could belong together, factionless/Let's keep it burning bright 'til we're floating away/'Til we're ashes dancing inside the flames". 'Magnetic' is one of two songs written by Flyleaf and Dave Bassett. This rock song's also addressed to a love interest: "Pulling me from the other side of the world, magnetic/Filling up the space between the stars, we are magnetic/Nothing's gonna come between us now/Always gonna find each other somehow/Magnetic (2X)/Oh, magnetic, magnetic".

'Traitor' rocks and calls out a deceiver: "Pull your windows down/Tinted glass is hiding your eyes/It's your favorite disguise/You don't make a sound/While you're taking me for a ride/Holding secrets inside/Traitor, this is my life/I'm too strong to lie down next to a mastermind/Traitor, every time/I'll no longer keep you a friend of mine". 'Platonic' has a spooky, techno rock feel to it and these mysterious lyrics: "Pretend like we are more than friends/We'll see where the night ends/I wake up on your floor/You wake up in your bed/Still, I like to think you said/'It's not where the story ends'/We say our sweet goodbyes/Platonic jagged knives". The song includes special guest vocals by Bec Hollcraft who was lead singer for Stars in Stereo from 2012-2015.

'Head Underwater' is a rock ballad that reminds us God's always there for us: "My love is deeper than the stars/And you are bigger than the scars that you feel at night/When you're holding your pillow tight/And you're wishing someone would call you Home/It's you and I alone (2X)/You and I alone". 'Sober Serenade' is addressed to an addict: "You've been wasted all day/But you reach for a pipe in a smoke-filled room/Head to the club and wreck your car again.../Do you see the spell you're under/When you twist the knife that kills your soul/Or the pain you cause the ones you say you love?"

Next up is 'Thread'. It's the album's second single and was penned by Flyleaf and Don Gilmore. This rock ballad includes this cry out to God: "I'm hanging by a thread/I'm waiting for Your call/My hands are turning red/I'm hanging by a thread/I thought I had it all/My parachute's in shreds". 'Marionette' is another rock ballad. It's a song that rejects another toxic force: "You want the strings so you can/Pull at my soul and tear me down/You want it all/I'm not your marionette doll/So let me go, oh/I'm taking back the day that you tried to steal from me/I'm going to make my voice/You'll never get my choice to breathe/This is not a game".

'Well of Lies' serves as a prayer: "All I need is what You've given me (2X)/Don't let me slide/Slip down this well of lies/It's dark inside, oh/Inside this well of lies.../Come set me free tonight". 'City Kids' actually sounds like a Taylor Swift song: "Walking past the house that you grew up in/Man, it looks so different now/Remembering the story of your first kiss/The feeling of my heart ripped out/When we were young, almost in love/Too scared to reach out for what was".

'Blue Roses' is a pop song with this chorus: "Oh, here I go, collecting roses to me from you/Oh, here I go, a dozen red for every wound/Oh, now I stop and smell the roses when they're blue". Last up is 'Home', a good pop song of positivity: "One step closer/We're looking out for brighter days/One step closer/We'll find our way back Home/Time to go Home/Every chance we take will lead us through the unknown/Home".

BETWEEN THE STARS was Flyleaf's one and only full album with Kristen May as lead singer. She left the group in 2016. This is mainly a rock album, with about three pop songs present. There are a handful of songs about people with bad intentions who treat others badly. There are also songs about relationships gone wrong. Then there are songs desiring and celebrating healthy relationships. Flyleaf ultimately, but not blatantly, point to God and heaven as our ultimate hope sources. I'm rating this record 85% and recommending it to fans of Fireflight and BarlowGirl. For more info visit www.flyleafmusic.com and/or connect with the band on social media.