Friday, April 05, 2019

CHILD OF THE FATHER


Cheri Louise Anderson, known better as Cheri Keaggy, was born on August 29, 1968 in Los Angeles, California. In 1994 she released her debut album, CHILD OF THE FATHER (Sparrow). It was produced by Charlie Peacock. Cheri was nominated for New Artist of the Year at the 1995 Dove Awards, losing out to Clay Crosse.

Starting the album off is 'Make my Life an Altar', an upbeat pop song of spiritual dedication: "Make my life an altar/Let Your will be my own in whatever I do/This is all I can offer/Let my heart be Your home/Lord, I give it to You". 'Open My Heart' is a light adult contemporary song. Cheri desires to be God's student: "More of You, less of me/I'm finding it hard to accept any less than/Letting You work in me/Teaching me how to live like You/Giving my life up to You/Open my heart (2X)/Show me where I need less of me/Show me where I need more of You".

'Here You Stand' is an adult contemporary ballad of commissioning: "Here you stand at the beginning and not the end/Here you stand and with our blessing we will send you/And though it's hard we will extend to you a smile/It's a journey you must travel/You know we'll miss you/Don't stay away too long". The pretty adult contemporary title track, 'Child of the Father', finds Cheri sure of her true identity: "I am a child of the Father/And I know what that means for me/It means I'm loved and I'm spoken for/It means I'm wealthy in heavenly things/I am a child of the Father/And I know what that means for me/It means I'm redeemed and forgiven/It means I'm holy and blameless and free".

'The Cross that Bears His Name' is a praise and worship song: "I will call upon His Name/With a fervor like a flame/I will fall to my knees/With my eyes looking up/To the cross that bears His Name/To the One who stays the same/To the cross that bears/The Name of the Son". Sam Levine plays recorder. 'You, Oh Lord, Are My Refuge' testifies: "You, oh Lord, are my refuge/It is You I will trust/You're my light in the darkness/You, oh Lord, are my refuge/By Your mercy You cover me".

Next up is 'Worship Medley-We Have Come to Worship Him/There is Joy in the Lord'. It's a delightful praise and worship track: "We have come to worship Him/To lift His Name on high/He is worthy of our praise/So let us lift Him to the sky/He is my Savior/He is the King of kings/He is the Mighty God/And of His awesome deeds we sing/And our highest praise to Him we bring". Brent Bourgeois sings harmony vocals on 'I Want to Follow You'. It's a song desiring to live holy and obedient lives: "Lord, I want to follow and serve You alone/Lord, help me to live right/And bring glory to Your throne/Lord, I am willing to be/Your servant faithfully/Oh Lord, I want to follow You".

'Little Boy on His Knees (Cameron's Song)' is a sentimental adult contemporary ballad about Cheri's son: "He's Mommy's little helper/Learning to comb his hair/And loves his baby sister/Though he doesn't always share/A quarter in the bucket/A memory verse or two/Although he may not know it/He's beginning to follow You". Last up is 'He Will Love You' which Cheri co-wrote with Charlie Peacock. It calls prodigals home: "You say that you've fallen, far, far away/You remember the Father/But you've forgotten how to pray/There is forgiveness/No need to run/The Father is waiting/Won't you go ahead and come?"

CHILD OF THE FATHER is mainly an adult contemporary record, but praise and worship and pop sounds are also heard. Cheri's vocals are sweet and innocent. A main theme here is giving oneself completely and without reservation to God. He should be our foundation and we should long to follow and serve Him. We should desire more and more of God in our lives. Cheri absolutely rejoices in God's forgiveness, mercy, and grace. She recognizes she is God's loved, adopted child. She wants others to come into relationship with God and to grow in Him. The pictures of Cheri accompanying this CD are gorgeous! The majority of the songs here are slow, so it can get a tad sleepy at times. Fans of Twila Paris and early era Amy Grant should acquire this album which I'm rating 83%. For more info visit www.cherikeaggy.com and/or connect with her on Facebook.