Wednesday, April 17, 2019

UNSPOKEN


Jacquelyn 'Jaci' Davette Velasquez was born on October 15, 1979. She put out two independent albums in 1992 and 1994. Her major label debut was 1996's HEAVENLY PLACE (Myrrh). She became known for such songs as 'On My Knees', 'God So Loved', and 'Adore'. Fast forward to 2003 and she released UNSPOKEN (Word/Curb/Warner Bros.). It debuted at #55 on the Billboard 200. In the liner notes Jaci writes: "God, what could I ever do without You? You are my best friend!!!!"

First up is 'You're My God', one of four songs written by Jaci, Matthew Gerrard, and Bridget Benenate. This one is a song of praise: "When I'm watching a rose/How it naturally grows/Just takes my breath away/There's just one thing to say/'You're my God/What You've created/So many miracles in every day/You're my God/It's so amazing/It's so incredible I've gotta say/You're my God!'" 'Jesus Is' is an adult contemporary ballad of gratitude: "You never judge me for my faults/Your love is unconditional/Without You I don't know where I'd be/Jesus is the sweet, sweet love of my soul/Jesus is the only thing making me whole/He's everything to me/All I desire to be/That's what Jesus is (2X)".

'Lost Without You' is a slow pop song that testifies: "You're the only One who gets rid of these blues/When I fall You'll catch me every time/The way You give me clarity when I'm confused/Just to hear Your voice can ease my mind". 'Where I Belong' speaks of God's faithfulness: "You're always there to guide me through my mistakes/You've never once left my side/The way You pick me up each time my heart breaks/The way You always stood by".

'The Real Me' is a great pop song on which Jaci admits she doesn't always have it all together: "I've got my bad days and some are even worse/I can be a blessing and you know, I can be a curse/I tremble at rejection/I'm scared to be alone/Sometimes I may be selfish but I always make it home". 'He' is one of two songs written by Hunter Davis and Chris Faulk. Michael Ripoll plays Spanish guitars and sitar on this song about God's care for us: "He is working on me/He never leaves me/He lets me know that I'm not alone in the darkness/He wants me to be happy/He smiles when I'm laughing/He makes me believe/Heaven's a place".

'Glass House' paints a picture of living life in the spotlight: "Sometimes it feels as though my life is like a test/With expectations that I've got to be the best/Feel like everybody's always watchin'/One little slip gets people talking/So many unkind words are spoken/You see my heart is hurting, but it's still open". Jaci co-wrote 'Your Friend' with Jammes Castro, Abel Orta, and Javier Solis. Violin and cello are used on this song about companionship: "I will be your friend who will always care/I'll be the first to catch you if ever you should fall/And hold you in my arms/I will be your friend".

What follows is 'Something', a quiet adult contemporary ballad about the end of a romantic relationship: "Didn't it mean something?/Surely you have to feel something/How could there be nothing in your eyes?/Come on and say something/Baby, you gotta do something/Don't leave me here all by myself". Tobias Gad, Orrin Hatch, and Madeline Stone wrote the upbeat pop title track, 'Unspoken'. It's optimistic: "If we all pray for peace/Change will come, I believe/As we face the unknown/God heals us when we're broken/He is there, use your voice/Reach for Him, make a choice/None of us are alone/Don't leave your heart unspoken".

Jaci, Matthew Gerrard, and Cindy Morgan wrote 'I'm Alive'. It's a love song to God: "I'm alive (2X)/I feel Your arms around me/Your eyes of love surround me/I'm alive/To shine in pure perfection/And wake up every morning/In Your light/I'm so glad I'm alive". 'Shine' finds Pete Orta on electric guitars and includes the vocal talents of The Positive Group. It's a song of thankfulness: "You'll open up your eyes like the sunrise/Your heart will fly and you'll realize/What a gift it is to be alive, be alive/Oh, be alive/Shine, shine on (2X)/On and on".

Genre-wise UNSPOKEN is made up of pop and adult contemporary music. There are about twice as many slow songs as there are fast ones. Jaci's vocals are wonderful. She sings about Jesus being our Friend, Healer, the One who comforts and forgives us, and Who is faithful to us during the good and the bad times. Jaci admits her flaws and insecurities but testifies that God is always working on and in her, and has ample love for her. On more than one song Jaci praises God for loving her and for the gift of life itself. She emphasizes that we should be kind and friendly to others. I'm rating this CD an 89%. For more info visit www.jacivelasquez.com and/or connect with her on social media.