Thursday, April 11, 2019

WHERE MERCY BEGINS


Steve Green was born on August 1, 1956 in Portland, Oregon. He has performed with Truth, the Bill Gaither Trio, the New Gaither Vocal Band, and White Heart. In 1984 he released his self-titled debut. Ten years later he put out his 10th album, WHERE MERCY BEGINS (Sparrow). Producers used on it were Phil Naish, Brown Bannister, and Greg Nelson. Of them, Steve writes: "Their sensitivity, helpfulness, and cooperation greatly encouraged me...You each brought a much appreciated gift to this project". 

Steven Curtis Chapman wrote the album opener, 'We Trust in the Name of the Lord our God'. It's a pop praise song full of joy: "Oh, glory to the Name/The Name of our salvation/Oh, glory to the Name above all names/The Name of the Lord our God/Some trust in the wealth of things/We trust in the Name of the Lord our God". 'Glory to You' is one of two selections written by Jon Mohr and Randall Dennis. Chris Eaton and Chris Willis sing backing vocals on this pop praise and worship song: "Any strength I have/Any good I do/Comes from the life I found in You/So in all I am and in all I do/I give the glory to You".

Dann Huff plays guitars and Tommy Sims bass on 'Answer the Call'. It's a song of spiritual resolve: "I answer the call/I take my stand/I choose to live my days on earth a faithful man/And to that end/I give my all/And in the strength and grace of God/I answer the call". Phil McHugh, Greg Nelson, and Shane Keister co-wrote 'That's Where His Mercy Begins'. On it, Steve testifies: "And He wasn't surprised at where I had been/He was waiting for me at the end of my sin/And the heaven I found in the hell I was in/That's where His mercy/That's where His mercy begins".

Michael Card and Phil Naish penned 'The Beauty of the Bride'. This inspirational ballad looks ahead to things to come: "We will see Him coming/With His arms held open wide/Captivated by the hidden beauty of the bride/Sooner than we know/And all at once He will appear/And we will finally be made one/At last we'll hear the Bridegroom calling 'Come'". Michael Kelly Blanchard wrote 'Great is the Lord God'. It's an upbeat pop song that testifies: "He has found me in my misery/He has freed me from my shame/He has saved me from self-tyranny/Holy is His Name/He has pulled me out of darkness/He has brought me into light". Horns are used to good effect and Billy Crockett plays acoustic guitar.

Next we have 'Kings Shall Bow'. The Nashville String Machine and a choir are used on this inspirational anthem that speaks of God's ultimate victory over evil: "They mock His Name/And slight His Word as if He were a fable/They taunt my faith and scorn me as if I were a fool.../Soon wrong will be made right/And every suffering sacrifice for the cause of Christ/Will be rewarded on that day". Steve co-wrote 'God Causes All Things to Grow' with Steven Curtis Chapman. It's a lovely duet with Steve's wife Marijean. It's addressed to one's spouse: "You know where I've failed/My weakness has been unveiled/And yet by grace you choose to love and to forgive/So come what may our home is here to stay/A witness to the lasting promise He has made". Lisa Bevill, Michael Black, and Michael Mellett provide backing vocals and a string quartet is used.

'Emmaus' is inspired by a New Testament story and is a song of spiritual invitation: "Somewhere along the way your heart will be burning/Drawn into the holy flame of truth/Right now He may be a stranger to you/What will He be when your journey's through?/Somewhere between where you are and Emmaus/The Savior wants to walk with you". Last up is 'Revive Us, Oh Lord'. This inspirational anthem begins with a prayer: "Oh holy God and King/Hear your people as we sing/Revive us, oh Lord/Grant us this our one request/That we may walk in holiness/Revive us, oh Lord".

Clocking in at exactly 42 minutes, WHERE MERCY BEGINS is comprised of seven inspirational ballads and anthems, and three upbeat pop songs. Steve's vocals are spot on as always! This album gives glory, worship, and praise to God. He gives us good things including strength, mercy, grace, love, and salvation. We should put our total faith and trust in Him, desiring to live pure and holy lives. The importance of being godly husbands and fathers is also stressed. Longing to be re-united with Christ is another theme. 'Emmaus' is a great song that asks each listener what they'll do with Christ. I'm rating this album 86%. For more info visit www.stevegreenministries.org and/or connect with him on social media.