Thursday, April 25, 2019

FIND IT ON THE WINGS


Sandra Faye 'Sandi' Patty was born on July 12, 1956 in Oklahoma City. In 1978 she released her independent debut album FOR MY FRIENDS. A couple of my favorite albums of hers are 1986's MORNING LIKE THIS and 1988's MAKE HIS PRAISE GLORIOUS. Fast forward to 1994 and she released FIND IT ON THE WINGS (Word/Epic). In the liner notes she writes: "For me, this project is full of joy and celebration, full of God's grace and redemption. The joy of the Lord is my strength and I am continuing to learn that His grace is sufficient for me".

Bob Farrell and Tommy Sims wrote the adult pop title track 'Find it on the Wings'. Kid Connection helps on vocals and the lyrics are very optimistic: "For every heart that breaks/There'll be joy that comes along to take it's place/For every time we fall/A voice will pick us up to a higher call/We'll play in the sunshine/We'll dance in the moonlight/We'll sing in the hard times/And find it on the wings/We'll find it on the wings of love". A combo of two songs 'Holy Lord/Carry On' is next. Chris Eaton, Mark Ivey, and Bob Carlisle sing backing vocals. I like these lyrics: "No greater King ever known/Passion was the crimson and stain of Your robe/And I will bow before Your throne/Your love is life to me/You are my destiny/Carry on, carry on/O God of awesome might/You draw me to Your light/Carry on (3X)/My life is in Your hands/Carry on". 'Make it 'Til Tomorrow' is a duet with mainstream artist Peabo Bryson. This adult pop ballad offers words of testimony and uses a choir: "As long as my God is there/And He hears my honest prayer/ I know I can make it 'til tomorrow/And I know that when shadows hide the day/His words are a lamp unto my way/The light I can follow".

Cindy Morgan wrote 'When I Heal', an adult contemporary ballad that uses The Nashville String Machine. It offers hope: "Secrets locked away deep inside/Shadows are never far behind/But what rattles in the closet/Can be driven from the darkness today.../Climbing the stairway of regrets/It's hard to fathom what He forgives, He forgets". 'Where the Nails Were' is a song of gratitude for Calvary: "It should've been my hands where the nails were/It should've been/It should've been my feet where the nails were/It should've been/It should have been my side that was opened/My heart that was broken".

Grant Cunningham and Matt Huesmann wrote 'Build My World Around You', an upbeat pop number about making God the center of one's life: "Build my world around hope/Build my world where there's mercy and grace/Build my world around love/Build my world around all that is true/Build my world around You". Burt Bacharach and Will Jennings wrote 'If I Want To'. Andy Snitzer plays tenor sax on this lovely ballad: "If I want to imagine/Peace on every hand/I close my eyes and dream my dreams/In dreams I make a stand/Any time I start missin'/Human harmony/I listen hard/Until I hear the music inside me/I can sing of a better world if I want to".

Sandi dedicates 'Safe Harbour', penned by Bob Farrell and Greg Nelson, to North Anderson Church of God. It's about comforting people having hard times: "It seems the hardest struggle for any man/Is facing the darkness inside of him/But give them sanctuary, filled up with love/Where the light of God's truth shines within/They'll know a place where they can come out of the darkness/They'll find the grace of Jesus/In the refuge of His arms". 'God is Walking Me Through' is an adult pop song of testimony: "God is walking me through and making me sing/He's turning my whole world around/With the joy that He brings/He's breaking my fall/Lifting me up/Changing my heart's point of view/God is walking me through".

'Through the Eyes of A Child' came about due to Sandi's involvement with World Vision. David Hamilton plays piano and Dann Huff guitar, on this ballad: "Through the eyes of a child there is innocence/Through the eyes of a child all is love/May the light of Jesus help us to see/All the world through their eyes". Closing things out is 'Imagine (How God Can Sing)' penned by John Barlow Jarvis and Phil McHugh. It's a quiet song that includes these words: "Imagine how God can dance/Moving gracefully up to our hearts/To invite us to be intimate and share in His joy".

FIND IT ON THE WINGS contains six adult contemporary, three adult pop, and two praise and worship songs. Eight of the songs are restful, while three are faster. It's really an inspirational album. God is praised for being Creator, Healer, holy, love, and our joy and strength. Sandi desires a peaceful world where all people are loved and cared for. The church should be a refuge on earth. Sandi is thankful for the cross and the hope and new life Christ gives to us. So, if you're in a meditative mood, I recommend this project to you, which I'm rating 87%. For more info visit www.sandipatty.com.