Tuesday, April 16, 2019

WE WILL STAND-YESTERDAY AND TODAY


Russell D. Taff was born on November 11, 1953 in Farmersville, California. He released his solo debut, WALLS OF GLASS, in 1983 and followed it up with 1985's success, MEDALS. What I'm reviewing here is the compilation album WE WILL STAND-YESTERDAY AND TODAY (1994, Myrrh). In the liner notes Chris Willman writes of Russ: "No wonder he's considered the voice of Contemporary Christian Music-not just because he was bestowed with a set of chops to make the angels jealous, but because there's no doubting he means every soothing, swelling syllable". This collection spans the years 1979-1989.

1985's upbeat pop/rock cut 'Rock Solid' opens the album. It's a song of spiritual determination: "This is it/I've made my mind up/No more both ways/I have been dancing on the border/Wasting my days/Why was I flirting with a time bomb?/I know what's right/Starting now, no compromising/I'm changing my life/Got my feet back on the solid ground/I'm standing/Rock solid (2X)". Dave Perkins wrote 'Walk Between the Lines', an adult contemporary ballad about finding refuge: "When the days ahead seem full of dread/And I'm afraid of what the future finds/There's this place I know I can go/I'll find the peace to clear my clouded mind/Walk between the lines/Through these life and times/My heart is hitting hard upon the Word".

'Here I Am' is a song of spiritual surrender: "Here I am/Because You love me/Willing to be broken/Here I am/Because You love me/Coming closer to You/Giving You my will/Here I stand/Willing to become as new/Send me out prepared/Covered in Your love/Ready to be a light to the world". Chris Eaton wrote 'Believe in Love', a wonderful adult contemporary ballad of honesty: "Some days I get up in the morning and I wish I wasn't there/Life seems so incredibly lonely/When no one wants to care/But I've found somewhere in this heart/A Friend for life/To hold me close 'til all my fears subside".

'Not Gonna Bow' is a strong pop/rock track about remaining loyal to God: "Ninety feet tall and nine feet wide/Solid gold/'It must be a god'/They were told/'When you hear the music play fall on your knees and begin to pray'/They were told/But when the trumpet sounded/The whole world bowed/Three men stood there all alone/They said/'Not gonna bow to your idols/We won't bow, oh no!/Not gonna bow to your idols/We won't bow, oh no!'" 'I Still Believe' is a cover of a song by The Call. It was penned by Michael Been and James Goodwin. It's a terrific rock anthem of faith: "I still believe (2X)/Through the cold and through the heat/Through the rain and through the tears/Through the crowds and through the cheers/Oh, I still believe".

Next up is 'Silent Love', a pretty adult contemporary testimony: "I walk along the path You trace/I feel Your presence in each place/And if the darkness hides the day/Love's flowing out of You to light my way/Your silent love comes over me/In the stillness of my memory/I feel Your touch/I've heard Your call/Your silent love remains unchanged and strong". 'We Will Stand' is a fave of mine and is quite popular. This inspirational anthem was written by Russ Taff, wife Tori, and James Hollihan, Jr. It's from 1983 and is a song desiring unity in the body of Christ: "You're my brother, you're my sister/So take me by the hand/Together we will work until He comes/There's no foe that can defeat us/When we're walking side by side/As long as there is love we will stand".

'Farther On' is from 1989 and is a quiet country ballad. Here's the chorus: "But a father's eye can always see right through/And a father's heart can tell when tears are true/Now I'm standing on this road/Your hand has brought me to/Your faithful love will lead me farther on". 'Winds of Change' was penned by Danny Tate and Danny Wilde. It's upbeat country and is another all time fave of mine. It offers these words of wisdom: "I've never gone so far that I've forgotten my way home/The best things always bring you back/Again over and over/The hands of time go round and round/They don't slow down when you lose your way/At every turn, the things you learn/You wear them proud like you wear your name".

'I Cry' testifies: "I cry and You're the One who hears me calling/I fall so easily but You're there to catch me/Say the words that heal me/I'm safe when I'm with You/You touch my eyes and I can see". 'Trumpet of Jesus' is from Taff's time with the Imperials and dates back to 1980. It was penned by Michael and Stormie Omartian. This joyful pop song speaks of how believers live differently, with different priorities: "I listen to the trumpet of Jesus/While the world hears a different sound/I march to the drumbeat of God Almighty/While the others just wander around/I'm a member of the Holy Ghost traveling band/We're moving on up to a better land/I hear the voice of the Supernatural singing/Like only those who know Him can".

'Praise the Lord' is also from Taff's days with the Imperials. It dates back to 1979 and was composed by Brown Bannister and Mike Hudson. It's an inspirational classic: "Now Satan is a liar and he wants to make us think/That we are paupers when he knows himself we're children of the King/So lift up the mighty shield of faith for the battle must be won/We know that Jesus Christ has risen so the work's already done". Last up is a previously unreleased solo song, 'Your Love Stays With Me', on which The Nashville String Machine appears. It testifies: "Oh, how Your love stays with me/When shadows fall and everybody leaves me/I'm not alone/I'll never be, I know I'll never be/Because Your love stays with me". It's a soulful ballad.

WE WILL STAND clocks in at a generous 60 minutes and 6 seconds! Genre-wise, the majority of the songs are adult contemporary, but there are also rock, country, and pop influences. Russ's vocals are second to none. There are several songs about God's love for us. We can take refuge in Him and allow ourselves to be molded by Him. We can also find joy in praising the Lord. Russ encourages us to stand firm in our Christian faith in the midst of persecution and hardship. He also encourages unity amongst believers of various denominations. I'm rating this excellent collection a 90%. For more info visit www.russtaff.com and/or connect with him on social media.