Sunday, January 06, 2019

CARRIED ME: THE WORSHIP PROJECT


Jeremy Thomas Camp was born on January 12, 1978 in Lafayette, Indiana. He married his first wife Melissa in October 2000. Tragically she died of ovarian cancer the next year. Some of the songs on his major label debut, STAY (2002), such as 'I Still Believe' and 'Walk by Faith' were inspired by her. In December 2003, he married his second wife Adrienne Liesching, who fronted the band The Benjamin Gate. In 2004, Jeremy released CARRIED ME: THE WORSHIP PROJECT (BEC Recordings). In the liner notes, he writes: "Ever since I picked up the guitar when I was young, worship music was a big part of what I loved and was involved with. My father being a pastor and worship leader showed me at a young age, the blessing of leading people in worship and I was often given the opportunity to lead as well".

First up is 'Trust in You', an adult contemporary song about having faith: "When I can't see You, I know You're there/When I can't feel You, I will not fear/I will trust in You and I will not be afraid". It includes a nice electric guitar solo. Tim Hughes wrote 'Beautiful One', which includes these great lyrics: "Powerful, so powerful/Your glory fills the skies/Your mighty works displayed for all to see/The beauty of Your majesty/Awakes my heart to sing/How marvelous, how wonderful You are". Chris Tomlin and Louie Giglio wrote 'Enough', here presented as a rock ballad. It exalts Christ: "And all of You is more than enough for all of me/For every thirst and every need/You satisfy me with Your love/And all I have in You is more than enough".

Jeremy's wife Adrienne sings beautifully with him on the new to me 'Wonderful Maker'. Here is the chorus: "What a wonderful Maker/What a wonderful Savior/How majestic Your whispers/How humble Your love/With a strength like no other/And the heart of a Father/How majestic Your whispers/What a wonderful God". 'Hear My Voice' is one of four songs here solely penned by Jeremy. It's an adult contemporary ballad that includes these words of testimony: "You are the only One that brings me truth/You are the only One that makes me new/The grace You've given, a gift for all to see/This is why I give You everything, yeah".

'I Wait for the Lord' follows. It's a Christian rock song of spiritual determination: "I wait for the Lord, my soul waits/I wait for the Lord/Cause in His Word I place my trust/Cause in His Word I rest/In His Word I place my trust/For I know I must, wait". There's some terrific electric guitar work! John Mark Comer and Gene Way wrote 'Empty Me'. It's a ballad that begins with these prayerful words: "Holy fire burn away/My desire for anything/That is not of You and is of me/I want more of You/And less of me, yeah".

'I Surrender to You' is a song of spiritual dedication: "All that I am is for You, My Savior/I live by Your Word and surrender to You/Here where I stand in this moment, Father/My spirit has been renewed/I surrender to You". 'Walk By Faith' is a hit song from Jeremy's debut, STAY. It's an inspirational song: "Well, I will walk by faith/Even when I cannot see/Well, because this broken road/Prepares Your will for me".

Next up is 'Revive Me', an easy listening number that cries out to Jesus: "Revive me, according to Your loving kindness/Revive me, that I may seek Your Word/Revive me, according to Your loving kindness/Revive me, oh Lord". David Ruis wrote 'You're Worthy of My Praise'. Jeremy rocks up this classic which dates back to 1991. Here's the second verse: "I will bow down and I'll hail You as King/Cause I will serve You/I'll give You everything/I will lift up my eyes to Your throne/Well, I will trust You/Well, I will trust You alone, yeah".

'Longing Heart' is a ballad that includes these words of wonder: "I don't understand it/How you love the way You do/Even when I've fallen/You always lift me up to You". Last up is the title track, 'Carried Me', penned by Jeremy, Adam Watts, and Andy Dodd. It's on the quiet side, but testifies: "Jesus, You have carried me/It's all been part of your plan/Jesus, You have carried me/It's Your footprints in the sand/Jesus, You have carried me/It was always in Your hands, oh yeah".

CARRIED ME: THE WORSHIP PROJECT contains nine adult contemporary and four rock songs. Eight of the selections are on the slower side of things while five are faster. Jeremy sings of his gratitude to God for His love and the cross. It is evident that Jeremy trusts God and believes He will supply his every need. Seeking after God and submitting to Him are crucial. The album, which runs 50 minutes and 50 seconds, comes with six photos of Camp. I'm rating CARRIED AWAY: THE WORSHIP PROJECT 88% and recommending it to fans of Kutless. For more info visit: www.jeremycamp.com.