Thursday, January 10, 2019

TRUE BELIEVER


Philip Tyler 'Phil' Keaggy was born on March 23, 1951 in Youngstown, Ohio. According to Wikipedia.org: "He is missing half of the middle finger on his right hand due to a childhood accident at age four involving a water pump". In 1968 he and two others formed the band Glass Harp. In 1970 as a result of injuries from a car crash, his mother died. Phil became a Christian with the help of his sister. His solo Christian debut was 1973's WHAT A DAY. Fast forward to 1995 and he released TRUE BELIEVER (Sparrow). It was produced, arranged, and programmed by Alan Shacklock.

First up is one of three songs penned by Alan Shacklock. The title track, 'The True Believers', is adult contemporary. Phil Madeira plays the Hammond B-3 Organ and tambourine is also used. These lyrics are jubilant: "The true believers stand on every word You say/The true believers made alive in Christ today/This is how we survive and where we mean to stay/The true believers (2X)/So, if you need to call on a friend/He's there for you right until the very end/His love is alive forever and amen". African bells, shaker, and flute sounds are used on 'Wild Heart', an adult contemporary ballad that begins with these optimistic words: "Somewhere in that empty stare, there is a look of love/Behind that suit of angry armor, there is a gentle dove/Between the lies and alibis, there's an honesty that's warm and bold/Under that cold shoulder, there's a heart of gold".

Wade Jaynes plays bass on 'Only You (Can Wash My Sins Away)'. It's a melodic adult contemporary ballad of testimony: "Let the thunder crash and the lightning strike/And the sky cave in today/Only You can wash my sins away/Let the thunder crash and the lightning strike/I'm down on my knees to pray/Only You can wash my sins away". Cheryl Becker contributes vocals to the rock song 'Salvation Army Band'. It also testifies: "Mercy made free to me/Eternal life, a gift that has no end/Receiving, believing in the mercy You extend/Cover me, You cover me/Clothed in Your own righteousness I stand/Your mercy has made me a part of Your salvation army band".

Phil wrote 'Don't Let Go of My Heart' with Jimmie Lee Sloas, Kip Raines, and Montey Powel. It's an easy listening, prayerful song: "Don't let go of my heart/Don't ever leave me here too long in isolation/Don't let go of my heart/I do believe You're here to offer consolation". 'Son of Man' is one of two selections penned solely by Phil. It's an adult pop song that lifts up Christ: "Son of Man and the beggar's friend/You will take me in and heal my bleeding heart/From the start/Even now and to the end/Son of God and the light You are/You have shined upon this dark and weary soul/And I am whole again".

Next up is the Keaggy/Sferra composition 'And On That Day'. Susan Ashton contributes vocals. The song begins by reflecting on Mary: "In a little corner of the world lived a maiden/Pure in heart, good in deed/Full of grace, gentle rose/An angelic salutation, holy word, annunciation/She's to be the chosen mother of Jesus, our Lord". It's wonderfully orchestrated-just lovely! 'Be Thou My Vision' is a well known traditional Irish hymn. Here it's performed with great energy! If finds Phil speaking to God from his heart: "Riches I need not, nor man's empty praise/Thou mine inheritance all of my days/Thou and Thou only though first in my heart/High King of heaven, my treasure Thou art".

'Have Mercy Lord' is a terrific rocker with a happy chorus: "You don't know how good it feels/When my heart breaks down and screams/Have mercy Lord!" (4X). Last up is 'The Survivor', which is about seven and a half minutes long. It's a soft, tender number to start, that commits oneself to God: "But as for me, I trust in Thee/Oh, Lord, my times are in Your hands/You are my God, deliver me/From the solution that they have planned". The latter part of the song amps up and is louder.

Phil Keaggy is a Christian music legend! TRUE BELIEVER spans four genres musically: adult contemporary, adult pop, rock, and easy listening. So, there's a bit of something for everyone! There are mid-tempo, fast, and slow songs. The importance of having a strong faith in God is made clear here. Jesus is presented as Savior. He is gracious, merciful, loving, and the Great Physician. This album will also encourage you to have an optimistic outlook on life and enjoy God's presence in your life. I'm rating TRUE BELIEVER 90%. For more info visit: www.philkeaggy.com. There are four great photos of Phil with a guitar included with this project.