Saturday, January 26, 2019

TO KNOW THAT YOU'RE ALIVE


Kutless formed as 'Call Box', a campus worship band. In 2002 they released their self-titled debut album. Over the years they became known for such songs as 'Your Touch', 'Run', 'Sea of Faces', 'Strong Tower', and 'Shut Me Out'. In 2008 they released their fifth full-length studio album, TO KNOW THAT YOU'RE ALIVE (BEC Recordings). It was produced by Peter Kipley and was nominated for a Dove Award for 'Rock Album of the Year' and reached #1 on the Billboard Christian Albums chart.

First up is the heavy rocker 'The Feeling'. These words are about having fun: "Turn it up, feel the beat/And scream the lyrics you know/Keep it coming/The time is right/Let's unite to the rock and roll/Everybody". These lyrics hint at something deeper: "There's a greater meaning/Behind the music that we're bringing". 'Sleeping City' is a short and peaceful instrumental. The title track is a rock song that includes screaming and reminds us life isn't always peachy: "Right now you're bruised and bleeding/I see the hurt within your eyes/I know your pain is for a reason/You need to feel just to know that you're alive".

'The Disease & The Cure' is a pounding rock song about wanting to be cleansed: "Is there a way to clean the sin off of me?/Is there anyone with a vaccine?/I'll take the shot even if I bleed/As long as it can heal me.../There only is one cure/That is why I pray/Jesus, please take it away". The worship song 'Complete' follows. It's one of surrender: "God, I've fallen to my knees/I'm bowing at Your feet/I give You all of me/In You I am complete/It's all because of love/I'm not who I was/I'm who I'm meant to be/In You I am complete".

'The Rescue' is a rock song of testimony: "My life is a mass destruction/You're pulling me from the mess I'm in/You take me away.../You are my salvation/The only One to rescue me from the torment that I'm in/Again". 'Promise You' is a rock ballad. It finds a victim speaking to his abuser: "Tears wash the blood off of my face/Why did it have to be this way?/I've taken the last beating from you/This I promise you.../I can't deny these thoughts of hate/The poison adding to my shame/Forgiveness can't take scars away/But I forgive you anyway".

'Guiding Me Home' is a beautiful adult contemporary ballad of gratitude to God: "You say that You love me always and forever/You say that You love me/I know I will never deserve all the love that You show/It's the light that is guiding me home". Next up is 'Overcoming Me', a techno-rock cut that includes these words of admission: "I can't stop You from overcoming me/It's brought me to my knees/I don't want You letting go of me".

'I Do Not Belong' anticipates things to come: "When the world is behind me on the day that I breathe my last/In the face of eternity there's hope cause I believe/When I look to the heavens/And the future that You hold/It makes it easier to see beyond today/Now I'm looking to the sky". 'Loud' rocks and is a song about determination: "My eyes are open wide and now I'm breathing/I've finally broken free, the fire burns in me/You can try to turn me down/But I was born to be this loud/How can I be quiet now/When I believe it and I want it?" It's a short song at just over two and a half minutes.

These words from 'Dying to Become' are addressed to God: "I never meant to disrespect You/But that's exactly what I've done/What am I trying to prove?/When will I stop and trust You?/I know that You're the only One/How am I blind to the truth?" Closing things out is 'You', a worship ballad: "The earth declares Your glory/There's nowhere it can hide/And still You let me in/You draw me to Your side/You are my hope and I know that it's true/When all I can think of and all I can dream of is You/You're the love I have always known/And it's You/I will never be alone".

TO KNOW THAT YOU'RE ALIVE is a wonderful Christian music album. Nine of the thirteen tracks are rock in nature, two are modern worship, and two are adult contemporary. There are seven fast songs and six songs on the slower side of things. I am impressed with the electric guitar playing on this project! God is shown to be our Redeemer and Rescuer. He loves and cares for us. He helps us resist temptation. He heals the broken. We should dedicate our lives to Him. 'Promise You' is a great song that will help those who have been abused. I'm rating this Christian rock album 95% and recommending it to fans of Nickelback and Thousand Foot Krutch. There are several photos of the band in the CD booklet. For more info visit www.kutless.com and/or connect with the band on social media.