Monday, January 14, 2019

JARS OF CLAY PRESENTS THE SHELTER


Jars of Clay traces their origins to Greenville College in Illinois. In 1995 they released their stellar self-titled debut, which featured such songs as 'Flood' (which broke into the mainstream), and 'Love Song for a Savior'. Fast forward to 2010 and the band released their tenth full-length studio album, JARS OF CLAY PRESENTS THE SHELTER (Gray Matters/Essential). It was nominated for two Dove Awards: 'Pop/Contemporary Album of the Year' and 'Praise and Worship Album of the Year'. In the liner notes you will find these words: "This album is inspired by old Irish words, 'In the shelter of each other, the people live'. These songs are meant to celebrate and inspire small communities of people to care for one another and embody the love, peace, and hope promised by God and found in the life of Jesus". All of the eleven songs but one, feature guest vocalists.

Starting things off is 'Small Rebellions' (ft. Brandon Heath), a great adult contemporary number about caring for others: "God of the worn and tattered/All of Your people matter/Give us more than words to speak/Cause we are hearts and arms that reach/And love climbs up and down the human ladder". 'Call My Name' (ft. Thad Cockrell and Audrey Assad) is a melodic light adult pop song of spiritual surrender: "I'll go when You call me/I run when You tell me where to go/We are desert walkers under shady clouds/Your fire shows there's more of You to know/Let our idols fall, vanity subside/And we will see the beauty in our lives". Brother Henry plays strings on 'We Will Follow' which features Gungor. This Christian pop song includes these prayerful words: "So set us free/To love the mystery/Until our eyes are clear enough to see You/Where You lead us we will follow (2X)/Where You lead us we will follow You/Open up our hearts and reach inside".

'Eyes Wide Open' features Mac Powell, Derek Webb, and Burlap to Cashmere. It's a rootsy pop song asking for more faith: "So God bruise the heels we've dug in the ground/That we might move closer to love/Pull out the roots we've dug in so deep/Finish what You've started/Help us to believe". Brandon Heath is featured on 'Shelter', the title track, while Toby Mac and Audrey Assad provide background vocals. This adult contemporary ballad is one of encouragement: "Cast off the robes you're wearing/Set aside the names that you've been given/May this place of rest in the fold of your journey/Bind you to hope, you will never walk alone/In the shelter of each other, we will live, we will live (2X)/Your arms are all around us".

The lead single from the album was 'Out of My Hands'. It features Mike Donehy and finds Leigh Nash on backing vocals. It's a soft adult contemporary song of gratitude to God: "And it's out of my hands, it was from the start/In light of what You've done for me (2X)/You lifted my head, set me apart/In light of what You've done for me/This is what You've done for me/It's out of my hands (2X)". 'No Greater Love' is the only track not to 'feature' a guest vocalist. It's a terrific pop/rock song about surrendering to Christ: "Is it still my turn?/I think I'm the last one left to learn/That the life I lose is the least of my concerns.../Show me the beauty of a life (3X)/Laid down".

'Run in the Night (Psalm 27)' features Thad Cockrell. It's an atmospheric number sonically and testifies: "All my failures won't condemn me/Or leave me paralyzed and bound/When I'm at my worst/Your Love, it finds me first". What follows is 'Lay it Down' featuring David Crowder and Dawn Michelle. It's a rocker that reminds us others are going through what we are: "Why carry on our own what's common to all men?/Why drag your bag of bones to hell and back again?.../Look around, lay it down".

Sara Groves and Matt Maher are featured on 'Love Will Find Us'. It includes these joyful lyrics: "These orphan hearts will find a home/Run to these arms, be not alone/Light is leading, love will find us all/Love will find us all". Last up is 'Benediction' featuring Amy Grant. It's a tender easy listening , commissioning song: "Go into the world showing how much He loves You/Walk in the world in merciful ways/He loves you (2X)/Emmanuel on earth/God with us on earth".

It's quite a treat to hear all the guest vocalists here sing alongside Jars of Clay lead singer Dan Haseltine. I'd love to hear Dan and Mac Powell (Third Day) do an entire record together. THE SHELTER is mostly adult contemporary and adult pop with some rock thrown in the mix. God's love for us and His desire to be involved in our personal lives are refreshing themes in a world where so many of us battle loneliness of varying degrees. Because God loves us, we should reach out to, love, and help our fellow man. We aren't meant to live life alone, but in community. I'm rating this one an 89.5%. For more info visit www.jarsofclay.com and/or connect with them on social media.