Saturday, January 12, 2019

HEARTS OF THE INNOCENT


The band Call Box formed in Portland, Oregon as a campus worship band. They changed their name to Kutless in 2001. In 2002 they put out their self-titled record. 'Run' and 'Your Touch' from it hit #1 on ChristianRock.net. Fast forward to 2006 and the band released HEARTS OF THE INNOCENT (BEC), their fourth full length album. Group members were: Jon Micah Sumrall (lead vocals), James Mead (lead guitar, backing vocals), Ryan Shrout (rhythm guitar, backing vocals), Dave Leutkenhoelter (bass guitar), and Jeff Gilbert (drums, percussion). This album was produced by Aaron Sprinkle. It peaked at #45 on the Billboard 200 Albums chart, at #2 on the Billboard Top Christian Albums chart, and was nominated for two Dove Awards: 'Rock/Contemporary Album of the Year' and 'Recorded Music Packaging of the Year'.

First up is the title track, 'Hearts of the Innocent'. It's one of nine songs penned by Kutless and Aaron Sprinkle and one of four singles released from the album. This rocker reflects on the brokenness in the world and includes some great electric guitar work: "I'm looking down into the hopelessness/They're crying out to me/I see the pain/It's so much more than youth should know/It tears me apart/What can I do to change what I see?/This vicious cycle must come to an end". Kutless and Ethan Luck wrote 'Shut Me Out', a rock song of determination: "There's nothing you can say/That will take me away from this life/There's nothing you can do/To shut me up when I'm speaking the truth".

'Beyond the Surface' rocks and reflects on media: "I've been hiding, hiding for so long/Right behind my digital mask/I've been trying to be someone I'm not/All these perfectly fake people push us to insane ideals/They're nothing more than counterfeit images". 'Smile' is a sentimental ballad: "A spark is gleaming in my eye/Like diamond stars that fill the sky/I think a smile says it all/A smile says it all".

Next up is 'Promise of a Lifetime'. Jon Micah Sumrall plays piano, strings are arranged by Matt Slocum, and Aaron Sprinkle provides backing vocals. This lovely ballad speaks to God: "I know You're always there/To hear my every prayer inside/I'm clinging to the promise of a lifetime/I hear the words You say/To never walk away from me and leave behind/The promise of a lifetime". 'Winds of Change' describes how many feel today: "Can you feel the pains in life?/Wrapped around you like they're chains/Restricting all Your dreams?/Do you wonder if there is a way?/A way to set you free/Set you free?"

'Somewhere in the Sky' follows. It's an optimistic number: "I thank God for our freedom/There's nothing wrong with enjoying things in life/Spread the word that a smile's not beyond us/This is a call to act and seize your day". 'Mistakes' is a ballad that uses strings. It includes these sobering words: "I'm stuck with my affliction/An inner perfect storm/Why didn't someone warn me/To save me from myself?/The pain is self-inflicted/The decisions were my own/Now listen to history". 

'Push Me Away' is a rock song that reminds us no man is an island: "Don't try to deceive me by pulling the wool over my eyes/There's nothing wrong with needing help sometimes/What are friendships for?/Now please/Don't push me away/Condemn your pride/Sometimes we all need a hand to get by". The ballad 'Changing World' is up next. I like these lyrics: "I'm embracing all of my fears/I am watching them turn to delight/The very fears which were gripping my mind/Are now the hands shaping and sculpting my dreams".

Things heat up again musically with 'Million Dollar Man', the only track written solely by Kutless. It speaks of the emptiness of materialism: "He's a million dollar man/He's got everything he wanted/But now what he wants is what he had/But he threw it all away/For a life filled with cars and rings/And everything that money can bring". Last up is 'Legacy', penned by Kutless, Aaron Sprinkle, and Ethan Luck. It's a heavy rocker of encouragement: "Nightmares of the past will fade away/The future of your name is what will stay/Never try to blame the past for everything you say/You have the power you need to change your legacy".

HEARTS OF THE INNOCENT is a great Christian rock album. It contains eight fast songs and four ballads. A main theme on the album is that there are many people all around us who are hurting and in various degrees and types of pain. A second theme provides the answer: We can find hope and contentment in a personal relationship with God. He hears and cares for us. We believers should take the time to help those who need it, even in our busy world. I'm rating this album 94% and recommending it to fans of Thousand Foot Krutch and Nickelback. For more info connect with the band at www.kutless.com or on Facebook. Collectors will want to pick up the Deluxe Edition of HEARTS OF THE INNOCENT. It includes four acoustic tracks of songs from the album, as well as seven great music videos of popular songs from the band's career.