Tuesday, January 01, 2019

SPOKEN FOR


The CCM band MercyMe was founded in Edmond, Oklahoma. Between 1995 and 2000 they put out six independent albums. Following that, in 2001, they put out their first major label record, ALMOST THERE (IN0). It contained the now famous smash hit 'I Can Only Imagine', which has been turned into a movie. SPOKEN FOR (2002, IN0) was MercyMe's second studio album. Group members were: Bart Millard, Jim Bryson, Robby Shaffer, Mike Scheuchzer, and Nathan Cochran. In one of the photos with the CD, one member is wearing a Petra shirt, which is cool to see! Peter Kipley produced SPOKEN FOR. It was nominated for a Dove Award for 'Pop/Contemporary Album of the Year'.

Starting things off is 'The Change Inside of Me', a great Christian pop song about life transformation: "Pardon me if I've been acting strange/I haven't been myself lately/What you see is a person rearranged/Someone affected me greatly/And I've got so much to say/Ever since Jesus looked my way/Gonna raise my voice like thunder/And leave the world in wonder of the change/The change inside of me". The band co-wrote 'All the Above' with Mark Stuart (Audio Adrenaline) and Peter Kipley. It's a pop song of spiritual encouragement: "Remember the day when God forgot your sin/Remember the way that joy came tumbling in/There will be times when you cannot find a reason to stand and sing/But let this remind you time after time/You're a child of the King". The title track, 'Spoken For', was a #1 adult contemporary hit! It's a ballad of gratitude: "By the power of the cross/You've taken what was lost/And made it fully Yours/And I have been redeemed/By You who spoke to me/Now I am spoken for".

'There's A Reason' is a praise and worship ballad: "All glory to the King of Kings, Lord of Lords/Oh, the value of Your worth/No worldly treasures can afford/And we praise You forevermore". 'Come One, Come All' is a Christian pop song of spiritual invitation: "Come one, come all/To the presence of our God/This is where all hope and peace and joy are found/Come taste and see/We've been summoned by the King/Enter in and place your feet on holy ground".

Bart Millard, Peter Kipley, Robby Hurd, and Chad Sipes wrote 'Crazy', an adult contemporary ballad that is Scripturally based: "I have not been called to the wisdom of this world/But to a God who's calling out to me/And even though the world may think/I'm losing touch with reality/It would be crazy to choose this world/Over eternity". Bart and Peter co-wrote 'Word of God Speak'. It was a #1 hit on multiple charts. It's an inspirational prayer: "Word of God speak/Would You pour down like rain/Washing my eyes to see Your majesty?/To be still and know that You're in this place/Please let me stay and rest/In Your holiness/Word of God speak".

'Your Glory Goes On' is an upbeat song that includes this uncreative chorus: "Your glory goes on and on and on and on/It's never gonna fade away/It keeps going on and on and on and on/Forever will Your glory reign". It is catchy I must confess. A fairly traditional cover of the classic hymn 'The Love of God' follows. It includes these great words: "O love of God, how rich and pure!/How measureless and strong!/It shall forevermore endure/The saints' and angels' song".

'Go' is a pop song about fulfilling the Great Commission: "For a dying world in need/For the hungry and the weak/For the sinner scared to speak/I will go/Go, I will go/To make You known/I will go". Last up is 'All Because of This' which only runs just over a minute and a half. It attempts to explain our faith in God: "How can we sing when there seems no reason to?/How do we smile when there's not much to smile about?.../It's all because of this (2X)/We've tasted love, tasted hope, tasted holiness".

SPOKEN FOR is a real joy to listen to! Bart Millard's lead vocals are easy on the ears. There are almost an equal number of fast paced pop songs and slower adult contemporary songs. This album will always be known for birthing 'Word of God Speak', a prayer to hear clearly from God. Several of the tracks celebrate the fact that we are Father God's children and that He loves us immensely. Some songs speak of how He changes our lives via salvation, mercy, and grace. It is also made clear that we should share God's love with non-believers and invite them to come into relationship with Him. I'm rating SPOKEN FOR 100%. For more info visit: www.mercyme.org or connect with the band on Facebook.