Monday, January 21, 2019

GRACE


Margaret Becker was born on July 17/59 in Bay Shore, New York. Her debut album was 1987's NEVER FOR NOTHING (Sparrow). Fast forward to 1995 and she released GRACE (Sparrow). Producers on the album are Charlie Peacock and Tommy Sims, while Brown Bannister is executive producer. In the CD booklet, you'll find these words: "Grace...the Grace to laugh, the Grace to cry. Grace to drink each breath with the fullness of experience. Grace to do all these things in the assurance, the shelter of God's all encompassing Love".

First up is 'Deep Calling Deep', one of five co-writes by Margaret and Charlie Peacock. It's a pop song about spiritual thirst: "In this ocean of my soul/There's a voice that calls and calls/Calls to You night and day/Using words I can not say/They are words of waiting, words of want/Without You, I'm undone/Calling to deeper love, calling to deeper truth/Calling to anything that leads me/Deeper and farther on with You". Chris Rodriguez handles electric guitars on 'My Heaven', a pop song that paints a picture of utopia: "Love, love that will not end/Hope that will not dim/Words that don't condemn/I call this my Heaven/Mercy lights the sky/Hearts don't have to hide/Tears have all run dry/I call this my Heaven"

'True Devotion' is a catchy pop/dance number about spiritual commitment: "I know it's not about how fast or strong I step/Isn't it all about faithfulness?/Living true devotion, true to You/That's all that I will need/Giving true devotion, true to You/I want it more than anything". Lorraine Ferro, Stephanie Lewis, and Russ DeSalvo wrote 'Only Your Love'. It's a pop ballad of gratitude: "You're my champion, my comfort, and my strength/Jesus, I'll tell You again/Only Your love does this to me/Lifts me above what I thought I could be/I fly like a banner/Anchored yet free/And only Your love does this to me".

Next up is the title cut, 'Grace'. Nicol Smith and Tommy Sims sing backing vocals on this funky pop/dance song that denounces works righteousness: "Ain't no ladder, ain't no steps/Ain't no way to earn it/I'm talkin' 'bout grace, grace/Lay it all down my brother, my sister/Lay it all down at the feet of grace, grace, grace". 'I Trust in You' is a song of devotion: "I trust in You to lead me/Wanna be right by Your side/I trust in You to lead me/Every single day for the rest of my life/I trust in You to lead me/Every little step of the way/I trust in You to lead me/I will trust in You". I quite like this song!

Scott Dente (Out of the Grey) plays electric guitar on 'Close Enough to Change', while Rick Will plays tambourine and provides samples. This adult contemporary ballad begins with these relatable words: "Maybe I've never understood all the love You have for me/Every once in a great while/I think I almost see/And for one moment in time/My world turns differently/Oh, for the eyes that can see/All the love You have for me". 'Noonday Sun' is the only song Becker wrote alone. It's breezy pop sonically and is optimistic: "Brighter and brighter the light must become/Brighter and brighter the colors are gonna run/Till they rival/The noonday sun (4X)".

Becker and Tommy Sims wrote the last two cuts on this album. 'Moment of Choice' is an atmospheric pop song that begins with these comforting words: "It's alright to cry tonight/Sometimes tears have to fall/Sometimes a trembling heart is the strongest heart of all/It's alright to feel tonight/Let the Light wash your soul/Face the fears one by one/Touch them and let them go". Last up is 'We May Never', which finds Nicol Smith, Lisa Glasgow, Marabeth Jordan, and Tommy Sims on background vocals. This quiet song offers good advice: "We may never have this day again/So let us love/Like we could love/We may never pass this way again/So let us love, love, love/Like we could love".

GRACE is comprised of adult pop and adult contemporary songs. Most of the songs are mid-tempo or slower ones. Margaret makes it clear that she desires an intimate and personal relationship with Jesus Christ. She longs to be devoted to Him. She's grateful for God's love, grace, and the peace that He gives her. She looks forward to being with Him in Heaven eventually. Tracks 8, 9, and 10 could be mainstream songs. I think 'Noonday Sun' would fit in nicely on secular radio. If you enjoy the pop songs of Jaci Velasquez, Amy Grant, and Michael English, give this album, which I'm rating 95%, a try. For more info visit: www.margaretbecker.com and/or connect with her on social media.