Monday, January 28, 2019

STRONGER


Natalie Diane Grant was born on December 21, 1971 in Seattle, Washington. Early on in her music career she was a member of the group Truth. In 1999 she put out her self-titled debut album on Benson Records. It included such songs as 'I Am Not Alone' and 'There is A God'. She followed this up with 2001's STRONGER (Pamplin Records) which I'll be reviewing here. Producers used are Reed Vertelney, Tedd T, Phil Silas, Bernie Herms, and John and Dino Elefante. Mitchell Solarek serves as executive producer. In the liner notes Natalie writes: "Thanks to you, the listener. May this project bring you much joy, maybe a few tears, and most of all, closer to Jesus".

First up is the album's second single, 'What Other Man', written by Reed Vertelney and Linda Thompson. It's an adult pop song that speaks of God's faithfulness: "You always give me everything/And Your love has never left my side/You've been there in my darkest night/You're my strength when I want to hide". Natalie and Windy Wagner provide backing vocals on 'Keep On Shinin'', another pop song about God's faithfulness: "He will be there through the hurricane, through the pouring rain/And He will be there through the longest night/Everything's gonna be alright/The storm is gonna end/And the sun's gonna rise again". 'Whenever You Need Somebody', featuring Christian boy band Plus One, was the album's first single. It was written by Natalie, Bernie Herms, Jimmy Collins, and Kevin Stokes. This adult contemporary ballad reminds us we need each other: "Whenever you need somebody/Whenever you want a friend/To chase the clouds and help the sun shine again/I will be that friend/If I could have one wish this I would pray/A heavenly miracle, your pain to drift away".

'Anything' is a pop/dance track of positivity: "I may never walk the ocean blue/But I know that I can talk to You!/I believe that with my trust in You/I can do anything!" Natalie, Angela Cruz, and John Elefante sing backing vocals on 'If the World Lost All Its Love', an inspirational song of faith: "If the world lost all its love/He'd still have some to give You/ And if the stars should lose their light/We'd still have His to hold back the night/This hope is mine/If the world lost all its love/His still would shine".

'Such A Wonder' is a light pop song about God's care for us: "It's such a wonder/Such a crazy mystery/You chose to love someone like me/I will never understand this endless wonder/The hand that formed the sky and sea carries me eternally/And I'm so amazed/You're such a wonder". 'I Love to Praise' follows. It's a slow Latin influenced song beginning with this prayer: "Holy One/Father of the earth/Create in me a pure heart/So I can come in spirit and in truth/To worship You/That's what I long to do".

Next up is 'Only You', a lovely adult contemporary ballad of spiritual devotion: "You're the Light that I live by/You're the space where my soul flies/You're the breath that I breathe/You're the dream that sets me free/So much more than I imagined/Your love has made me see/Only You could be the miracle in me". 'Don't Wanna Make A Move' is a good pop/dance number wanting spiritual direction: "In the still and quiet/I bow my heart/Incline my ear/Anything You whisper/O Lord, I want to hear!/Lord, I need to hear You!"

Sam Mizell and John Mandeville wrote 'To Find My Strength'. These lyrics call out to God: "I look to You to find my strength/Carry me to the end of my days/A steady hand to lead me through/Arms of faith to bring me back to You". Cindy Morgan, Natalie, and Mark Hammond wrote the closing song, 'Finally Home'. Bernie Herms plays piano and the Nashville String Machine is featured on this over six minute long inspirational song on which Natalie expresses her heart's desire: "I want to be where I can walk, where I can run/Where my heart sings and I feel the sun/Where I can trust/And I'm strong enough/Free like the wind/I'll run into my Father's arms/I'm finally home!" It sounds like a song from a movie score!

STRONGER is a marvelous second album from Natalie Grant! She's a wonderful singer. Adult contemporary and pop, pop/dance are the main musical genres here. Six of the songs are slow, while five are faster. So, what is Natalie singing about? God's love for us is front and center. He became fully human and died on the cross for us. He gives us life, hope, and true freedom! He is faithful and dependable. Natalie, as we all should, desires intimacy with the Father. She seeks His guidance and wants to do His will. The duet 'Whenever You Need Somebody' with the now defunct Plus One is a memorable song about friendship. I'm recommending STRONGER to fans of Kelly Clarkson, Jaci Velasquez, and Mariah Carey. I give it a 95%. For more info visit www.nataliegrant.com and/or connect with her on social media.